Wednesday, February 18, 2015

SPOTLIGHT ON KAT MARTIN & AGAINST THE SKY (The Brodies of Alaska Book 2)




Hi, Kimberly!  So glad you enjoyed AGAINST THE WILD.  I think you’re going to like Nick Brodie and Samantha in AGAINST THE SKY.   I think this one has a lot of heart.  I was really happy with the book when I finished.  Big sigh, hated to see it end.  Thanks so much for having me on Romance at Random.  Love ya, kat
Please tell us a bit about Against the Sky.
AGAINST THE SKY is the second book in my Brodies of Alaska Trilogy, the 11th novel in my Against Series.  

The hero, Nick Brodie, a former Anchorage homicide detective, is a guy with a serious case of burnout.  He wants a new life, something that doesn't include violence and death.  Unfortunately for Nick, when his neighbor, twelve-year-old Jimmy Evans, comes to him battered and beaten, claiming his father was murdered, Nick has no choice but to help him.

To make matters worse, Nick has a lady friend visiting from San Francisco.  Samantha Hollis, owner of the Perfect Pup pet grooming parlor, isn't cut out for the harsh life of Alaska.  Unwillingly swept into Jimmy's problems, she finds herself on a wild ride with Nick that leads them into passion and terrible danger. 

What is your inspiration for this series? 
The setting for the books--Alaska--was my inspiration.  Just being in such an amazing place sent my creative juices into overdrive.  I was there for a month, traveling in the back of a small pickup camper.  (2nd trip).  Very rugged conditions--and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
How much research did you have to do?
I did a lot for all three books.  I find that writing contemporary novels takes as much research, in a different way, as an historical.  In AGAINST THE SKY, Nick comes up against the Russian mob.  The story involves drug smuggling and underage prostitution.  I can tell you, I was on some VERY interesting websites.
How many more books will be in the Brodies of Alaska series?
There are three Alaska books all together.  AGAINST THE WILD, AGAINST THE SKY, and AGAINST THE TIDE.  I really fell in love with all three of the Brodie brothers.   Nick is amazing and Rafe…well, he’s another sexy Brodie hunk. 
Do you have a favorite hero in this series? (could be past or to come)
I really love Nick Brodie.  He has so much heart.  Nick’s a former Ranger and an ex- homicide detective, tough as nails, yet he’s a sucker for home and family.  I really loved that about him.  Plus he’s six foot two with a perfect body, black hair, and incredible blue eyes.  How much better can a hero get?
Where will your fans get to see you this coming year?
One of the things I’ll be doing in 2015 is signing books on April 11 in Boonsboro, Maryland.  I’ll be at Nora Roberts’ bookstore, Turn the Page.  I think there will be five authors all together, signing for the day.  I’m traveling to Europe this summer so I won’t be at as many conferences as I usually am.  Though I will probably add some trips later.  Readers can always find me on Facebook at Katmartin/author and I’d love for them to stop by my new webpage  www.katmartin.com.
What is your favorite thing to do in your downtime?
I love to travel.  I love staying at expensive hotels and eating gourmet food.  Fortunately, I live in Montana where there are very few of those kinds of places.  I’m really looking forward to our upcoming trip to Europe where I’ll get to indulge myself.   
Thanks so much for answering these questions, Kat. Happy New Year!
Have a great 2015!  Love ya, kat





No comments:

Post a Comment